Back to Blog
Conine Celebrity Poker Classic Wrap-Up
Two-time World Series champ Jeff Conine, aka Mr. Marlin, is well known for bringing a winning attitude to the South Florida community, but he recently brought more than that to Isle Casino® Pompano Park. On July 13, he hosted the fourth annual Jeff Conine Celebrity Poker Classic here, welcoming local sports stars and TV personalities, as well as a roomful of poker enthusiasts, to one of the area’s hottest gaming facilities. In fact, the action that night was hot enough to raise $101,500 for the Conine Clubhouse at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital in Hollywood, Florida.
The Clubhouse is located right on the DiMaggio campus, and was opened in 1997 to provide families with free, comfortable lodging while their children are being treated at the hospital. As a nonprofit organization, the residence relies on funding from both individual gifts and efforts like the Poker Classic, which was making its first visit to Isle Casino this year.
Also visiting was a pod of former Miami Dolphin® players, including Wes Welker, James Pruitt, Bob Brudzinski, A.J. Duhe and Jim “Crash” Jensen, along with Robert Ashenoff Sr. and Jr., from TruTV’s “South Beach Tow.”
But just as important were the more than 500 other folks in attendance to support the cause, highlighted by 230 poker players. That group had its share of big winners, too, led by:
• Grand-prize winner Sam Brandwein, of Boca Raton, who took home $10,000
• Second-prize winner Mark Press, from Miami, who won a five-day, four-night visit to the Punta Gabriela Resort in Costa Rica (with travel provided by Spirit Airlines®)
• Third-prize winner Leonard St. Germain, of Southwest Ranches, the recipient of a $2,500 designer men’s watch and Mont Blanc® pen
• Fourth-prize winner James Pruitt, the former Dolphin, who garnered a weekend stay at the new Magaritaville® Hotel and Spa in Hollywood
Cash prizes also were awarded to fifth- through tenth-place finishers, with a special VIP Welcome Reception helping kick things off in the hours before the first cards were dealt.
Of course, it’s worth pointing out that even though the poker tournament is over, the poker-playing excitement continues at Pompano Park. Indeed, Isle Casino boasts the highest return for hourly poker play in all of South Florida, and it’s also the exclusive area venue for Multi Action Poker®. In that fast-paced, easy-to-learn style of gaming, players manage two hands of cards, in two separate games, at the same time and on the same table. Multi Action Poker is surprisingly easy to pick up, since each individual game relies on differently colored cards and chips, and with the pots coming twice as fast as in regular poker, we offer twice the opportunities to win.
But offering more ways to win is what we at Isle Casino are all about. Consider: Beyond the popular poker room, with 38 live-action tables, the facility further offers a wide variety of slots, video-poker machines and electronic table games, all backed by a free Fan Club® that provides members with cash back, comps and more.
Nor is the fun limited to the gaming rooms. At Isle Casino Racing Pompano Park, players can check out simulcast Jai-Alai games, along with harness, thoroughbred and greyhound racing from across North America, and this October is expected to see live action return to the “Winter Capital of Harness Racing.”
Finally, when it’s time to relax, we offer plenty of ways to do that, too, including an ongoing schedule of live music at the fling® lounge and six exemplary dining establishments:
• Farraddays® Steakhouse, recently winning an “Open Table® Diners’ Choice” award as one of the best restaurants in Pompano Beach
• Farmer’s Pick Buffet®, where the focus is on variety with options like fresh salads, house-smoked ribs and brisket
• Myron’s® Delicatessen, delivering New York deli-style fare for those with a passion for pastrami and corned beef
• Bragozzo®, boasting its own Open Table recognition for modern-day Italian cuisine
• The Lone Wolf®, for the crowd at Isle Casino Racing
• Bexpress®, serving up quick and casual eating, with favorites like fried mozzarella, chicken fingers and Caesar salad
(Note: Special thanks go out to top sponsors of the Jeff Conine Celebrity Poker Classic, such as Transamerica® Retirement Solutions, Steve & Valerie Zaffos, Memorial Healthcare System and PNC Bank®.)